Through The Word : Places, People & Props (Children of Israel)
Israel = "God prevails"
- the second name for Jacob given to him by God after his wrestling with the angel at Peniel
- the name of the descendants and the nation of the descendants of Jacob
- the name of the nation until the death of Solomon and the split
- the name used and given to the northern kingdom consisting of the 10 tribes under Jeroboam; the southern kingdom was known as Judah
- the name of the nation after the return from exile